WWDC2023 – What it means for Teens

Adam Sayah, Technology Review Editor

WWDC, otherwise known as the Worldwide Developers Conference, actually only spans several acres in Cupertino, California. Although the first half of the acronym is deceiving, the second half is a little more accurate. Taking place every June, WWDC attracts top tech media executives (I must have missed my invitation), businesspeople, and software developers who all gather to witness Apple proclaim its latest advancements. This year, there were multiple notable announcements, including three that teens might find especially interesting.

First and certainly not least, in a surprise that almost everyone saw coming, Apple’s Vision Pro headset is finally a reality. Reminiscent of Ready Player One’s fictional headset, the Vision Pro straps over a user’s head and “immerses” them in an augmented world. Where virtual, interactive screens float above the ground, sound seemingly comes from all directions, and the surroundings can change in the blink of an eye, the Vision Pro brings sci-fi to life. As expected, the matrix comes with a hefty price tag, one to the tune of $3,500. While this is out of reach for practically all students, over time, as technology improves and slowly decreases in price, the Vision Pro will certainly become more accessible.

On the other hand, Apple’s new Macbook Air might become especially popular with current high school students. Coming in a new 15 inch screen size, the Macbook Air stands beside the significantly more expensive and weighty 16 inch Macbook Pro in Apple’s large laptop lineup. The new Macbook Air houses the wildly popular M2 chip, six speakers, modernized display and camera, and “18 hours of battery life.” Starting from just under $1,300, the 15 inch Macbook Air is a great option for students looking to splurge on a computer that is sure to last for years to come.

WWDC also brought significant software updates. Iimprovements to iMessage mean better autocorrect, a streamlined message searching system, and more uses for the forgotten iMessage stickers. Other refinements bring a personalized screen when contacts call,  an Airdrop function that allows information to be shared when two devices are in close proximity, and a unique journal app to highlight important moments. Meanwhile, a polished widget experience spans across all devices, meaning enhanced functionality from the home screen. These minor software updates combine with others to create a more engaging, productive work environment. 

Overall, WWDC2023, although not targeted for a younger audience, will affect teens for months, years, and even decades to come. The advancements and tweaks announced at the event drastically range in scope, from a groundbreaking mixed-reality headset to an attractive laptop to a faster way to connect with others, all of which are sure to inspire and benefit teens.