A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Haunted Mansion: Better than the original?

The remake of Eddie Murphy’s 2003 Haunted Mansion surpassed all my expectations. Haunted Mansion is a drama/comedy that follows the story of Ben Matthias, who is contracted to help a mother and son photograph the ghosts who live in their house. Although he is an avid skeptic, Ben takes the job, which changes the course of his life.

The movie did a great job of portraying the characters in a way that felt real. As the audience, I understood the characters’ motivations and connected with their emotions. The actors also had realistic reactions to events in the movie, such as immediately leaving after seeing something paranormal. In doing so, I felt connected to the characters because they were making decisions I would make if I were in that position.

Additionally, I think that LaKeith Stanfield and Charity Jordan did a great job of fulfilling the drama aspect in their portrayal of the love felt between Ben and his wife Alyssa. This helped me feel the grief and bittersweet emotions Ben felt when he reflected on his deceased wife. Although there were several heartfelt moments, the movie delivered on its comedic promise. The jokes flowed well and produced genuine laughs from me. The actors had great comedic timing, and the jokes written didn’t feel forced.

From an artistic standpoint, the cinematography had nice shots and transitions. For example, the transition in the beginning with the bar created an interesting juxtaposition that illustrated an important change that occurred in the main character’s life. The way the ghosts were animated added to the realism found in the film, which enhanced the sense of threat the characters felt.

All in all, the movie was great; it succeeded in making me emotional and laugh throughout various parts of the movie. If you’re looking for a movie to watch with the family, I recommend Haunted Mansion.