A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Laufey’s Musical Talent is Reintroducing Jazz to Younger Generations

Copy edited by Samia Orva

When thinking about jazz, we often associate it with the 1930s or with iconic singers such as Louis Armstrong or Ella Fitzgerald. Jazz, as a genre, has slowly faded out of mainstream music. However, Icelandic-Chinese singer and songwriter Laufey has changed that. Through the power of social media and blends of the pop genre, she has reintroduced jazz to the younger generation. Her music carries that nostalgic sound while relating to adolescents and young adults alike. 

The first time I listened to Laufey, I thought that her voice suited her style of music really well. Her vocal range is on the deeper side and flows with the slower tempo of her songs. I did not listen to that much jazz prior to this, but I enjoyed the calmness and gentleness of most of her songs.  

She recently released her second studio album, Bewitched, on September 8, 2023, and the songs I’d like to highlight specifically are “Dreamer” and “From The Start.” “Dreamer” is the song that, in my opinion, is the most like old-fashioned jazz. The lyrics describe Laufey as a peppy person, where nothing can break her stride. It has a spirited detail to it that is most like other happy-go-lucky jazz tunes. The song itself is very bouncy, which is the only way I can describe it, and overall gives off a comforting yet invigorating feel when listening to it. 

“From The Start” was one of the songs that rose to fame on TikTok and allowed people to discover and connect with her music. This song in particular holds more of a pop beat but still maintains the jazzy feeling. It is not like a typical pop song and opens up the appeal of jazz to the media. I believe it is the perfect song to describe the fluttery feelings of a crush, and it is no surprise that others loved it as well. 

Not only is she vocally talented, but Laufey is also genuinely musically talented. She is able to play the guitar, piano, and cello, and she often plays with jazz bands and philharmonic societies for her concert performances. I always find it impressive when an artist incorporates their own musical abilities into their pieces. Another unique aspect and personal touch to her songs is her identical sister, Junia. She, too, is a very experienced and talented musician, and she accompanies her sister with the violin for a few of her performances. This endearing feature adds a bit of “jazz” and a special feel to Laufey’s music like no other and perfectly showcases just how skilled she and her family are as artists. 

Laufey is a unique artist whose music style and tracks bring on a refreshing change to modern music. The blend of old and new gives her music a refreshing yet nostalgic feel. Jazz is an underrated music genre, and I am glad she was able to bring it back into the spotlight.