A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Top 5 Best Book Couples

Courtesy of Pixabay

Love is always better in books. From enemies-turned-lovers to fake relationship stories, romance novels contain some of the most engaging and smile-worthy love stories to read. To celebrate this Valentine’s Day, here’s a list of my favorite heartwarming and inspiring fictional couples. 

Nate Hawkins & Anastasia Allen 

Nate and Anastasia, from Icebreaker by Hannah Grace, have a classic enemies-to-lovers relationship progression. Nate, a hockey player, and Anastasia, a figure skater, meet when an unexpected incident forces them to use the same rink. At first, Anastasia rejects Nate’s advances towards her, until she realizes she misjudged him. Nate is one of the sweetest boyfriends  I have read about—all he wants is to make sure Anastasia is safe and happy. He is protective but not obsessive and is the perfect combination of adorable yet tough. Together, they’re a power couple—their love story was written perfectly, with enough conflicts to keep the relationship from getting boring. 

Percy Jackson & Annabeth Chase

Percy and Annabeth, from the Percy Jackson & the Olympians series by Rick Riordan, are widely regarded as one of the most popular friends-to-lovers couples. When Percy moves to Camp Half-Blood after learning he is a demigod, he meets Annabeth: a witty girl who immediately takes note of him. During their quest together, they become close friends. Throughout the series, their friendship leads to a slow-burn romance. They completely understand each other, and would both risk their lives to save each other and their friends. Percy and Annabeth are best friends first and always, which strengthens their bond. They will always be on each other’s side, no matter what.

Peeta Mellark & Katniss Everdeen 

Peeta and Katniss, the protagonists from the Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins, have a unique backstory. They meet after being chosen to participate in the 74th annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death. In the arena, their begrudging friendship starts as a way to survive the game. To overcome the tedious politics of the Capitol, they use their “relationship” as protection.  When war hits the districts, the pair build a real relationship over their shared trauma. They are partners who need each other to live, creating an indestructible connection. 

Patroclus & Achilles 

Patroclus and Achilles, from The Song of Achilles by Madeline Miller, were written as forbidden lovers. Their story takes place in Ancient Greece during the Trojan War, at a time when a relationship such as theirs was not yet acceptable. The two met as young boys and stayed together through the hard times. Achilles, a world-class warrior, is the perfect opposite of Patroclus, who is soft and gentle. Patroclus is always there to comfort Achilles through his challenges. They sacrificed tremendously for each other, but their love kept them together even after death.

Jude Duarte & Cardan Greenbriar 

Jude and Cardan from the Cruel Prince trilogy by Holly Black went through one of the longest slow-burn enemies-to-lovers romances. Unlike other couples, Cardan was extremely hateful and violent towards Jude, which he later reveals was a way to conceal his love for her. Although the author did not primarily focus on their romance, every scene with them is ridden with tension. Their relationship is filled with twists and turns that test how strong their trust is. Through the challenges, their feelings constantly change, yet in the end, their love prevails. Jude and Cardan’s romance stayed unpredictable throughout the series which kept the stereotypical trope engaging.

Each of these couples, with their various conflicts and joys, emphasize the strength and beauty of love. Their stories teach readers about how love can come from the most unexpected of places. This Valentine’s Day, whether you’re in need of a sweet romance or a slow-burn story, you can find a perfect romance suited to your own taste through these couples.