A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Top 5 Fictional High School Romances

Courtesy of Pixabay

With Valentine’s Day upon us, there’s a lot of romance in the air–especially in our favorite high-school-age stories, whether on screen or in your favorite novel. Today, we’re going to be discussing my picks for the top five fictional high school romances of all time. 

My top picks for the best teenage relationships:

Harry Potter – Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger

Truly one of the most iconic romances of the entire Young Adult Fantasy genre, Ron and Hermione’s friends-to-lover trajectory was one of the most tantalizing storylines in the famed Harry Potter series. Despite their polar opposite natures, with Ron’s laid back attitude and Hermione’s anxious ambition, Ron and Hermione share fundamental values in loyalty and kindness. It was a joy to find out that Hermione eventually became the Minister of Magic and Ron a supportive First Husband. Their relationship withstood the test of true evil and hardship, proving that the bumpy romance between the two was the reason they stayed close.

The Summer I Turned Pretty – Belly and Conrad

Growing up together, Belly and Conrad have always been in each other’s life. Throughout the series, we watch Belly flourish and become a smart and independent young woman, and Conrad grow to be more attuned to his emotions and learn how to express them. Although Conrad makes his fair share of mistakes, he always has Belly’s best interests at heart. His love for Belly is so strong that he expressed willingness to let her go forever if she was truly happier with his charismatic brother, Jeremiah. Symbolized by the infinity necklace, Belly and Conrad’s romance was tumultuous, and at times frustrating to readers, but we all let out a sigh of relief when Belly eventually married the boy she’s loved ever since she was 12. 

Twilight – Bella and Edward 

Though the age difference between 17-year-old Bella and 104-year-old Edward is a bit alarming, the Twilight romance stole the hearts of readers across all ages. This relationship started a bit problematically, with Edward drawn to the scent of Bella’s blood. But, with Edward’s constant protection and support, Bella grows from a shy, young woman into a strong and independent character, even becoming the strongest vampire of the Cullen family. 

Romeo and Juliet – Romeo and Juliet

If we’re talking about teen romances, we cannot forget the most iconic Shakespearean lovers. Tracing their original inspiration to the medieval Celtic legend of Tristan and Isolde, Romeo and Juliet were lovers who put their romance above everything else, including their lives and their family rivalry. It’s easy to forget that both of them were our age! Their love, albeit passionate and impulsive, still symbolizes the fire of young love centuries later.

Marvel Comics – Spider-Man and Gwen Stacy

No one can ever forget their first love. The famous first romance between Marvel’s most popular hero, Peter Parker (aka Spider-Man), and his first girlfriend, Gwen Stacy, captures youthful innocence and the budding understanding of love and sacrifice. Gwen and Peter fall in love, though Gwen is fully unaware that she is dating New York’s hometown superhero. The star-crossed couple fights through many situations together before Gwen’s death at the hands of the Green Goblin. Though their romance was ill-fated, Gwen would always be Spider-Man’s first and true love. Gwen’s demise, alongside that of Peter’s late Uncle Ben, was what ultimately allowed Peter to truly understand the responsibility his “great power” as Spider-Man came with.