A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Top 5 Young Adult Books to Read This Break

Courtesy of Pixabay

This mid-winter break is the perfect opportunity to cozy up with a new book. The suggestions provided encompass timeless classics and recent releases, spanning genres from fantasy to non-fiction.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

This timeless classic has manifested itself in various adaptations spanning books and films. The novel revolves around the love story of Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy, as the two challenge social norms and battle their inner prejudices. Elizabeth’s independence defies the societal expectations of 1700s women, portraying a feminist perspective that resonates with readers even today. The plot unfolds with a nuanced exploration of love, marriage, social class, and prejudice, captivating readers with its blend of humor, drama, and timeless themes. 

Wildfire by Hannah Grace

Continuing the storyline from Icebreaker, Grace’s first book, this novel shifts its focus to Russ and Aurora, whose paths cross at an end-of-year college party, and who unexpectedly reconnect later on. Seeking self-discovery, Aurora revisits her former camp, where she encounters Russ, looking to escape his troubled family life; together, they find solace and healing. The storyline is a slow burn enemies to lovers, but the novel is not very explicit about it. There isn’t a distinct enemies phase as the characters never experience enough hatred for one another for them to be considered enemies—rather, the novel leans more towards a second chance romance due to their miscommunication at the party. It’s a great easy read if you’re looking for something fun and not too intense. 

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder by Holly Jackson

Five years ago, high school senior Andie Bell was murdered by her boyfriend, Sal Singh, who was later discovered deceased as well. As Pip delves into the lingering shadows of this unsettling event alongside Ravi Singh, Sal’s younger brother, her school project evolves into a full-fledged murder investigation. Each investigative stride brings Pip closer to unraveling the truth and unveiling forbidden secrets concealed within her town. Despite the looming danger, Pip tenaciously pursues her quest, successfully completing her capstone project and delivering justice to those who perished. Serving as the first of the series, this mystery novel is a captivating read, keeping you at the edge of your seat the entire time. It is especially engaging since the plot is unique and unpredictable, which really helps the readers to get roped into the mystery and suspense in the book. 

It Ends with Us by Colleen Hoover

Although the name suggests otherwise, this novel is the first in its series. Following her father’s funeral, Lily relocates to a new town and meets Ryle, and the two later date and get married. But, a meeting with her childhood crush, Atlas, rekindles emotions and strains their relationship. The novel is very emotional, making you experience heartbreak, inspiration, romance, pain, happiness, and everything in between. Hoover expertly weaves a story in which aspects of romance are entangled with a more real-world theme of domestic violence, which echoes through Lily’s mother’s struggles with her husband’s anger issues. Overall, this is an extremely well- written book that lives up to its hype. 

It Starts with Us by Colleen Hoover

The second book in Hoover’s sequel and just as good as the first one, this book shifts its focus from Ryle and Lily to Atlas. The book picks up precisely where the last book concluded, when Lily and Atlas cross paths on the street. Their relationship unfolds slowly, as the two navigate complications arising from Emerson (Lily’s daughter), Ryle, and Josh (Atlas’ new brother) and help one another heal from past traumas. Although not as emotional and thought-provoking as Colleen’s previous book, this is still a great option with plenty of plot twists, new characters, and humor that make it worth reading.