A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Red Queen: A World Segregated By Blood and Betrayal

Pixabay

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard is a dystopian romance novel that depicts a separation of power between the common Reds and the Silver superiors. The Reds are typical people, unlike the Silvers who have supernatural abilities. These high-ranked people live extravagant lifestyles, while the red-blooded have to survive under poor circumstances.

Mare Barrow, a 17 year old girl, is a Red but has discovered a new part of her identity when she is unexpectedly summoned to work at the Royal palace. Mare uncovers abilities of her own, which brings up the question- Can a red-blooded person have powers of their own? To quiet any speculations from the public, the King makes Mare act as a misplaced Silver princess who is going to marry one of his sons, prince Maven. A love triangle forms as the favorite child and the heir, prince Cal, also grows an interest.

Mare finds it difficult to adjust and blend in with all the Silvers. Some have questions about her, while others see her as a threat, as everyone desires to betroth a prince. With these difficulties, Mare doesn’t know who she can trust. She has to rely on herself and her ability to fit in with the cutthroat, strong Silvers. 

While this is happening, Mare has joined the Scarlet Guard, a rebellion against the overpowering Silvers. With her connections to their world, Mare faces major risks in getting caught: a penalty of death. When Maven agrees to join, she discovers a different side to him, since it’s an act no Silver would ever commit to. Though, her feelings are still weary due to Cal’s caring nature towards her. 

However, a huge plot twist arises when Maven and the Queen betray their family and take the power and heir to themselves. Now, Mare and Cal face consequences of their actions and have to figure out ways to survive. This cliffhanger will put you on the edge of your seat, and force you to get the next installment.

Red Queen is truly entertaining and suspenseful. The love triangle between the powerful Cal and the kind Maven draws me in the more I read about each character. Reading about Maven surprises me everytime, especially after revealing his true self. Meanwhile, Cal’s loyalty is very admirable. Despite this, Mare hasn’t chosen Cal or any others.

In Red Queen, I was fascinated by Mare’s experience of hiding her true identity from others. There is always some type of fear of her identity being revealed. Sometimes there would be mind readers and it made me frightened, not knowing if they would find out. It is difficult to keep a secret when you are constantly watched and under pressure during social events. She was successful until Maven’s desire to become heir ruined that plan. I would have never guessed this to have occurred, and it shocked me when I got to that scene.

Red Queen is a captivating novel filled with different plot twists and suspense along with romance. I recommend this book to people who enjoy reading about dystopian societies and those who are wanting to read multiple parts of the series.