A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Girls Break the Grammys

Copy-Edited by Samia Orva

The 2024 Grammys was a monumental moment in Grammys history with an overwhelming amount of the awards being won by female artists. All nine of the major awards were wiped by women. As acknowledged by Trevor Noah in his monologue, “There’s a band that has already won today called boygenius — it’s three women. That’s how good a year it is for women.”

Starting off with the nominations for Album Of The Year, seven out of the eight nominations were all women, including stars like Joni Mitchell, Billie Eilish, SZA, and Dua Lipa. Taylor Swift won the category with one of her more recent albums, Midnight, making her the first ever person to win this award four times. She later announced the debut of her 11th album, The Tortured Poets Department, set to release on April 19. While this is definitely something to document in Grammys history, many including myself would call this announcement distasteful. Not to say a woman with the success of Taylor Swift should act humbly in any way, but there is a time and a place to announce something as impactful as a new album by her. Announcing the new release at  an award show celebrating so many other musical accomplishments takes away from the shared success of other artists, directing it to news about Swift and her fanbase. 

Speaking of other influential artists at the Grammys,  SZA, already having received two awards, absolutely dominated the list of nominees. She had more nominations in a variety of categories than any other artist nominated for an award. After her performance of “Snooze” and her 2022 smash hit “Kill Bill,” she took home the Grammy for Best R&B Song, being “Snooze” —  well deserved, as her performance exhibited her phenomenal stage presence. During “Snooze,” she rocked a Matrix-esc coat and wide brimmed hat to encapsulate the song’s bewitching essence. Her performance really came alive during “Kill Bill,” where the choreography played a homage to Quentin Tarentiono’s film by including swords and acrobatics. SZA’s tally of three awards tied for the second largest of any artist.

Best Rock Performance, Best Alternative Music Album, and Best Rock Song were all awarded to the all-female band, boygenius. As this was their first time attending the Grammys, it was monumental to see them win all three categories. They went out with a bang after having previously announced that they were going on hiatus to focus on their own solo projects. 

Boygenius wasn’t the only one to win their first award at the 66th Grammys. Miley Cyrus, without any Grammys to her name, won Best Pop Solo Performance and Record Of The Year with her song “Flowers,” exuding rock-star confidence and pizazz during her performance. She owned the stage wearing a shimmery silver dress, and encouraged the audience to sing by saying, “Why are you acting like you don’t know this song?” and motioning for them to stand up. Her award was also presented by the one and only Mariah Carey, five-time Grammy winner. She acknowledged the success of women in this year’s award ceremony by saying, “And yes, this year, all five nominees are women.”