A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Cat Janice’s Final Piece for Her Son: “Dance You Outta My Head”

Courtesy of Inga Seliverstova for image above

Rating: 9.5/10

Copy-Edited by Samia Orva

Catherine Janice Ipsan, better known as Cat Janice, recently released her final single, “Dance You Outta My Head,” on January 19. She was diagnosed in 2022 with sarcoma, a cancerous tumor that soon led to her entering hospice and ultimately leading to her passing on February 28. Before her departure from this world, Cat Janice began writing her last song, deciding to leave the earnings from the track to her son’s name. She wanted her music to be something eternal for her son — a final act.

Unlike the tragic circumstances of her life, “Dance You Outta My Head” embodies the genre it’s written for: pop. It doesn’t sound melancholic, but instead has a fun and energetic sound. Just in verse one, lines like “Walk in the room / And I’m glowing like a million fireflies, mm” and “A diamond don’t glitter half as much as my body tonight” are so catchy and hook you in. Just the first few lines of her song are enough to be stuck in peoples head, and they are certainly stuck in mine.

I would even say that the chorus, which is made up of lines that repeat the track’s title, has a very nice flow to it. The repetition is skillfully done. Unlike other artists, she takes a different approach with these lines — she includes repetition, but also puts a new spin on each one. Personally, I am a big fan because it’s a great part to dance to.

The pre-chorus, “This is getting / So complicated / It’s a mess for the ages” is so rhythmic and memorable. I really enjoy this key part of the song since it’s right before the chorus, but it’s not outshined by it. It holds just as much power as the main chorus of the single.

The only flaw that can be found in this track is that it’s too short. It’s one of those songs you wish were longer. The song’s meaning and the lyrics behind them speak for themselves, and it is worth every listen. Cat Janice’s final act will not only thrive in music history, but also in the hearts of many.