A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

There are Many Ways of Listening to Music: Which One Suits You?

Courtesy of Andre Moura for Image above

Copy-Edited by Samia Orva

There are, without a doubt, a plethora of different ways to listen to music. We all have a favorite way of consuming the music we love. Whether you enjoy the convenience of  streaming services, compact discs (CDs), or the sensual feeling that comes with playing a vinyl, there are advantages and disadvantages that come with each. 

Those who prioritize convenience may opt for a more portable medium. The appeal of using online streaming services to enjoy music on the go is exactly why many people prefer it as opposed to physical mediums. The ability to connect wireless earbuds or headphones continues to widen the appeal of streaming. However, the optimal convenience provided does come at a cost — a pretty steep one. Many of these services cost upwards of $10.99 a month for a standard plan. Ultimately, these continued payments do add up and make a dent in one’s wallet. In July 2023, Spotify caused an uproar by announcing a one dollar price increase that went into effect this past October, causing the bill to go from $9.99 to $10.99 a month. This price increase gave consumers an ultimatum: cancel your subscription to save money, but be forced to listen through disruptive advertisements and be limited to only six skips per hour, or dish out the extra dollar. 

Not only is digital media convenient, but physical media can be as well. CDs may be an option that satisfies the needs of many. The use of CDs has recently been on the rise, and without the limitations in skipping and offline listening, they allow consumers to listen freely. Despite the freedom and joy that comes with possessing physical media like CDs, there are other expenses to consider. With some Sony CD players costing as much as $200, you would have to hand over a few extra bucks. 

Giving off a more retro aesthetic, cassette tapes are another alternative. Although compact, with many players such as the Sony Walkman being portable and containing built-in earbuds, there are certainly some issues present with the option. The tape in the cassette may easily become unraveled, requiring a good amount of work to fix. Additionally, cassette tapes are being scarcely manufactured. Only few artists choose to release their music in such a form. Record-smashing pop star Taylor Swift is one such artist who has released them for her recent albums Speak Now Taylor’s Version and 1989 Taylor’s Version. Jazz artist Laufey has recently released a tape for her album Bewitched as well. 

In addition to the popular cassette tapes of the 70s and 80s, 8-track tapes were also quite popular from the mid-60s to the early 80s. Unlike cassettes, these cartridges are quite large and clunky, making them quite annoying to use. Nowadays, the use of this dated technology is considered a novelty, and really only of interest to collectors of music memorabilia.

Finally, the infamous, yet adored vinyl record. Vinyl records are adored for a variety of reasons, the main reason being its unique “warm” and consistent sound. Vinyls have grooves, and when the needle on the record player slides across them, electrical waves are produced which are then converted into sound. The data on a vinyl is not compressed like it is on a CD; the continuous signal produced by the analog system allows for the sound to be consistent. Ignoring the sound, vinyl records often contain multiple variations, each with different colored pressings. Similarly to SZA, artists may also choose to include add-ins such as a poster, just like she did in the vinyl edition of her album, SOS. The size of vinyls is also appealing to collectors, as it allows for larger and expanded artwork to be showcased on their slipcase-like packaging. 

On the surface, vinyl might seem like the perfect listening medium, but it is far from that. Not only are records expensive, but so are the players. Without a decent player, the vinyl may skip, making a perfectly good record sound unlistenable. Skipping can also be caused simply by a scratch or dust, making it important to store and clean them properly. 

While I enjoy the personal feeling that radiates from vinyl, I also value convenience. Depending on the situation, I may choose to listen in a different way. If I am taking a stroll, Spotify will definitely be open, but if I am at home, a CD or vinyl would be satisfactory. The perfect way to enjoy your favorite music depends on what is most convenient and important to you. Do you value convenience over sentiment? Do you prefer a tangible form of the art, or to listen digitally?