A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Hit K-drama adaptations inspired by beloved Korean webcomics

Pixabay

Over the past few years, releases of South Korean dramas (K-dramas) have become a global sensation, reaching huge audiences internationally. These highly addictive and engaging films, with compelling characters and storylines, appeal to young viewers and older generations alike. However, what viewers do not recognize is that many of these noteworthy dramas are adapted from their webtoon counterparts. Webtoons, a type of manhwa, are digital webcomics of South Korean origins. For many readers, webtoons are a preferable and convenient source of entertainment. With an array of genres ranging from thrillers to romance and a plethora of diverse art styles and creative story narratives, it comes as no surprise that these online comics have garnered major traction and collected large fan bases. 

As webtoons and K-Dramas increasingly attract viewership worldwide, webtoon portrayals will only become more mainstream in the Korean film industry. Here’s a few of the original webtoons that must be accredited, for inspiring some of the most well-acclaimed Korean dramas:  

A Business Proposal by HaeHwaGuava Farm, Perilla, and NARAK,

A cliché office romance packed with humor, drama, and of course romance, A Business Proposal, follows the main characters, Shin Ha-ri, and brooding love interest, CEO Kang Tae-mu. Ha-ri, an employee at a corporate office is dogged by all kinds of mishaps — from her love life to her family’s financial problems. Desperately needing money, her wealthy best friend, Jin Young-seo offers to pay her to go on a blind date in her place. Accepting this offer, Ha-ri, disguised as her friend, takes on an eccentric and obscure persona to scare her date off. However, things take a dramatic turn for Ha-ri when she realizes her date is not only her boss but when he suddenly proposes marriage. Will she be able to hide the truth from Tae-mu, or will she be tangled in the consequences of her lies? Even though the story was just a mashup of common romance tropes, it was nonetheless, very enjoyable. The characters’ humorous yet heart swooning banters in this webtoon is something that cannot be missed. If you are one for the clichés and looking for a story full of comedy and romance, A Business Proposal will definitely keep you entertained. 

All of Us Are Dead by Joo Dong-geun

Viewer discretion is advised. Making its debut in 2009, Joo Dong-geun’s fast-paced yet fear-provoking thriller, All of Us Are Dead (original name: Now at Our School) centers around a group of students caught in an apocalyptic catastrophe at Hyosan High School as a highly infectious virus plagues the school. Amidst the horrors of blood, violence, and peers turning into ravaging zombies, these students must try to survive and escape the chaos that unfolds. With the matter of life and death on the line, students struggle to keep themselves and their friends and classmates safe. The story does exceptionally well in delving into the characters’ thinking, morals, and friendships, as tragedy engulfs the school. Some characters sacrifice, accuse and argue with one another to keep themselves alive, while others show selflessness and courage to save others instead. Even with jarring zombies at every corner, All of Us Are Dead executes far more than gorey horror and thriller. Through the premise of a zombie apocalypse, the story unravels the true nature of humans when survival is threatened and how to confront their internal (and external) conflicts. This story will make you feel all sorts of emotions – about the characters or the circumstances, and will for sure make you reflect deeply about humanity. 

Sweet Home by Carnby Kim

Viewer discretion is advised. Yet another thriller that will leave you on the edge of your seat, Sweet Home begins with a social outcast, Cha Hyun, as he finds out that his family passed away — and now is all alone. Following the death of his family, he moves into a dull and eerie building, which is where the chaos mainly takes place. Within the first weeks of living in the apartment, he, along with other tenants encountered abnormal activities in the complex. Things become all the more real, when Hyun looks outside the window and sees the city aflame, foreshadowing approaching mayhem. The webtoon immerses readers in a world where human desires control humans, turning them into violent creatures who seek out their desires. As monsters tear through the building, Hyun and other residents must attempt to overcome them. The author delivers strong characterization, especially in developing Hyun; we get a look into his vulnerabilities through his crippling mental state from the beginning of the webtoon and how he overcomes his mental turmoil, and takes action for the better of others. With its grim art style and a buildup of suspense, Sweet Home will intoxicate you into the grisly depths of a home that proves to be not so sweet at all. 

While these are only a few of the webtoons that have a K-drama counterpart, many more webtoons have also made their contributions in this media. In fact, as we see more praise and approval from the public, webtoons will only continue to be recognized as a pivotal part of the success of these shows. With a multitude of genres and unique storytelling across the board, there is absolutely something for everyone. Even if it has not been made a reality, perhaps in the future, your beloved characters and webtoons will see the small screen too.