A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Does the ending of “Lala Land” make or break the blockbuster film?

Photo by Jens Thekkeevettil on Unsplash

With the movie La La Land leaving Netflix, it deserves to be discussed, as it is a relevant and genre-defining masterpiece with a controversial ending. La La Land is a 2016 musical romance film directed by Damien Chazelle that stars Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone as the lead. It takes place in modern-day L.A., following Sebastian (Ryan Gosling), a struggling jazz pianist, and Mia (Emma Stone), an overworked amateur actor. The two starving artists fall in love through coincidences and a few brilliant musical dance numbers and hit it off. However, in a heart-wrenching plot twist, the two lovers split up to pursue their dreams. The positively beautiful acting, musicality, and direction are immediately prevalent and intensely exemplify the two soulmates slowly falling in and out of love. The movie is captivating and emotional, and the polished color-coded visuals and old musical-style songs accentuate the painfully realistic story. It is a modernized spin on the classic romance story with an uncharacteristically tragic ending. I strongly recommend the movie for the heartfelt acting and breathtaking immersivity of the film. But the real question is: should the ending have followed a more traditional romantic happy ending? Or is the sob-worthy, tragic ending what makes the movie so great?

The events in the ending of La La Land carefully enkindle a heart-wrenching finale. Through our opinions and many La la Land enjoyers, the tear-inducing ending breaks through the norms of a traditional romance movie, with the two protagonists finding their path to success. Considering the plans that Mia and Sebastian had for themselves, as well as their on-screen chemistry, they are prime examples of the right people, the wrong time trope. Mia, an aspiring actress, wants to make it big, and Sebastian, an underground jazz lover with a dream to revive the genre with a club, couldn’t possibly pursue their inclinations without one of them abandoning what they love most. In the case of the story, to achieve their dreams, they had to sacrifice what they were passionate about each other. The conclusion of La La Land is a testament to the power of pursuing your passions and the difficult choices along the way. When looking at the lives of our protagonists, you can see they are happy and content with what they have become and the outcomes of their separation. Knowing that Mia and Sebastian will always love each other, we can find comfort in the fact that their love means they want each other to be happy, even if it is not with them being together. This movie beautifully displays the realities of life and its cumbersomeness. 

Although with all of these points present, many people could argue that the ending of La La Land was insufficient and a terrible send-off. Many viewers with opposing opinions have a more traditional perspective on how a romance should conclude, expressing that an ending without a happy relationship is a waste of time. Viewers have different opinions on the conclusion of the film; however, everyone can agree that La La Land is truly an exceptional film and a must-watch.