A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Could Verity be Colleen Hoover’s Best Book?

Miriam Heikal

In this compelling tale of obsession and deception, Verity by Colleen Hoover blurs the lines between fiction and reality. Readers should prepare themselves for an experience that will leave them wondering about the nature of truth and storytelling. 

The book follows struggling novelist, Lowen and Ashleigh, who receives the opportunity of a lifetime when asked to finish the bestselling author Verity Crawford’s book series, after a car accident leaves her in critical condition. While Lowen was in Verity’s office trying to use what’s around her to aid her writing of the story, she discovers Verity’s notes and secrets. This leads  Lowen on a dark path that uncovers themes of obsession and deception. 

One of the most notable features of this book is Hoover’s ability to go into the mind of her characters, giving them a sense of imperfection and reality. The conflict between Lowen and Verity’s husband, Jeremy, adds a whole new level of complexity of the story. To add on, it is also both terrifying and fascinating to watch Verity’s manuscripts and diary entries slowly come to light. Her writing draws you into the plot and makes it almost impossible to put down the book. Verity and Lowen’s completely different points of view provide readers with insight into the complicated minds of both these women. 

In addition, Verity explores some of the most sinister aspects of human nature. It is an emotional rollercoaster with unexpected twists and turns.Verity is a must read if you like psychological suspense novels with a dash of romance and tension. Hoover has demonstrated her skill at telling disturbing stories that stick with you after you have turned the final page.