A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Modoo Chicken and Noodle Bar: a halal alternative to Korean cuisine?

Hiba Malik

Overall Critic Rating: 8/10 ⭐️

If you’ve been following Muslim food accounts on social media, you may have heard of Modoo Chicken and Noodle Bar. This restaurant on Northern Boulevard in Bayside serves authentic Korean cuisine, but it’s 100% halal.    

From Spicy beef ramen to chicken udon and steamed dumplings to fried rice cakes, Modoo carries a wide range of different foods commonly eaten in Korea. As a Muslim, I was very excited about this, so I took a bite to see what they had to offer. 

Chicken Udon: 8/10

The udon was delicious. The rich flavor of the warm dashi broth was pleasantly surprising. The noodles were thick and delicate. They absorbed the taste of the broth without becoming soggy. I enjoyed the chicken, but it was a little bland for my liking. The green garnishes brought a nice crunch to the dish in contrast to the soft noodles. The only thing I disliked was the boiled egg. The egg wasn’t cooked well enough and, in my opinion, didn’t add anything to the dish. 

Fried Dumplings (Chicken): 8.5/10

The fried dumplings were great. The outer layer was crispy yet doughy. The chicken filling inside the dumplings was seasoned nicely with the perfect amount of veggies, and eating it all together was an excellent combination of different flavors. The sauce that came with it was tangy and tasted delicious with the dumplings. 

Lychee Jelly Tea: 10/10

I loved this drink. The lychee tea itself was delicious. The flavor wasn’t artificial, unlike many other fruit-flavored drinks. It was fizzy, too, which I enjoyed. The little jellies in the tea were a great addition; they added texture to the glass as a whole. 

Mochi Ice Cream (Vanilla): 10/10

This was the best dessert to end the day. The outer mochi was squishy and soft, and the inner vanilla ice cream was delectable. It was creamy and had a rich flavor. The ice cream is definitely worth being the only dessert on the menu. 

Overall, I enjoyed Modoo Chicken and Noodle Bar. The quality of their dishes is exquisite. They have quick service, and the staff are very patient. The restaurant is cozy, and K-pop is always playing in the background. I highly recommend this restaurant for Muslims, fans of Korean cuisine, and ramen lovers.