A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Food, friends, and February break: Top five places to eat this week in New York City

Angela Lee

Now that February break is finally here for New York City public schools, there’s no better way to enjoy the days off than exploring local restaurants with a few friends. Hhere are some great places to eat and hang out this week!

1. Kong Sihk Tong

Kong Sihk Tong is a modern-style twist on a ‘cha chan teng’, which is a Hong Kong style cafe or diner (tea restaurant, if translated literally). Located in Flushing, Chinatown, it’s one of my favorite restaurants to hang out at with friends, whether we’re enjoying a quick snack or a hearty meal. Its extensive menu has all of the classic mom-and-pop Hong Kong dishes—my personal favorites are the Hong Kong style baked pork chop rice and beef macaroni with tomato soup. The prices are also very reasonable, with dishes ranging from $2-16.  Kong Sikh Tong also has a location in Manhattan Chinatown, so it makes for a great outing to the city once in a while!

1. Toppoki Witch

Toppoki Witch is an All-You-Can-Eat buffet where you can “DIY” your own meal. Like most buffets, they have an unlimited self-serve bar, where you get to customize the flavors yourself (kind of like a hotpot restaurant). Their main dish Toppoki, which inspired the restaurant’s name, is a traditional spicy rice-cake dish that is also a widely popular street food in Korea. They have a variety of Korean comfort foods, like ramen, fried chicken, and more, with prices from $22.95 for lunch to $25.95 for dinner. Their ramen display is particularly extensive, with an entire wall of ramen variations to choose from. Overall, this is a great hangout spot, especially for those who like to cook together without the prep.

1. bb.q Chicken

bb.q Chicken, located in Koreatown, is a popular Korean fried chicken chain restaurant. It is a great place for quick and filling bites. The fried chicken itself is juicy and tender, with the sauces each having a unique blend of flavors. The restaurant stays open till 11:00 pm, making it a great place for late-night snacking. 

1. Kim Ganae
Angela Lee

Kim Ganae is a restaurant that specializes in Korean comfort meals, including Kimbap, Bibimbap, and ramen. A classic spot for high school students to eat and hangout after school, it makes for a popular location this February, as they have a lunch special running Monday through Friday from 12:00-2:00 pm. Their prices are also very affordable, especially for the quality of the food. My favorite dish is their spicy tuna Kimbap roll and beef over rice. They also have unlimited side dishes free of charge (miso soup & spicy pickled radish)!

1. Izakaya Nana

Izakaya Nana is a traditional Japanese-inspired restaurant that is located in Flushing, Queens. Their interior design is extraordinary, with a total of 11 rooms to choose from, each with a unique theme. They cater to any group size, with smaller coves for small groups and private rooms for larger groups. Not to mention, the dishes are presented beautifully, with a burst of flavor in every bite. Although the prices are on the higher end, the experience is worth the price point for peaceful dining, high-quality dishes, and excellent service.

Overall, these are all great places I recommend for you to visit over break. There are a variety of dishes, rooms, and services you can indulge in with friends, and each spot makes for a fun get-together experience. Hope you enjoy them!