A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Best Shows to Binge Watch This Break

Courtesy of Pixabay

As the midwinter recess approaches, students everywhere are excited to relax and unwind. We recommend watching these three recently released shows this break, as they are definitely binge-worthy.

Griselda 

Released this past January and currently streaming on Netflix, the show Griselda surrounds the life of a Colombian drug lord named Griselda Blanco. Set in the 70s and 80s, Griselda Blanco flees Medellín, Colombia to Miami, Florida, and establishes her cocaine business, which becomes one of the most profitable cartels in history. This show follows Griselda, played by Sofia Vergara, and her journey to becoming a powerful crime boss while facing the challenges of being a woman and a mother. This show is emotional and powerful, as it explores themes of female empowerment, greed, and resilience. Griselda is an extremely complicated character and you will find yourself switching from supporting her to questioning her choices very quickly. This show is a must-watch this break.

One Day 

Released on February 8th and currently streaming on Netflix, One Day follows the romance between two young adults after spending their graduation night together on July 15, 1988. Based on David Nicholls’ novel One Day, the main character, Emma, an aspiring writer, meets Dexter, a popular student on campus who is struggling with his transition into adulthood, and the audience instantly becomes immersed in their complicated romance. Each episode follows the couple on July 15 in the following years up until 2007. Although the cuts between years may seem jarring, as an audience, we can see the individual character developments of Emma and Dexter, and become engaged in their experiences navigating the world as young adults. This romantic drama has become a hit since the week of its release and will have you cringing and crying, in the best way.

My Life with the Walter Boys 

Released this past December and currently streaming on Netflix, My Life with the Walter Boys follows a teenage girl named Jackie, played by Nikki Rodriguez, as she copes with her move from New York City to rural Colorado. Upon the death of her entire family, Jackie moves in with her late mother’s friend and her ten kids, two of whom are teenage boys who become Jackie’s love interests. Cole, one of the eldest Walter boys, is an unpredictable and often complicated character who catches Jackie’s attention upon her arrival to the family’s ranch. Alex, another Walter boy, often feels inferior to his brother Cole, which sparks several conflicts as they fight for Jackie’s attention. This show explores themes of young love, friendship, and the complications of family relationships. Although the episodes do have some cringe-worthy dialogue, they make for the perfect binge-watch, as well as a great family watch.