A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

Matto: Everything for $2.50

Aizay Amin

Most students have probably heard of Matto, due to its popularity across social media platforms such as TikTok. Matto, an Italian espresso bar chain with over 20 locations in Manhattan, offers a variety of espressos, teas, and pastries. The chain is famous because everything at its stores is priced at $2.50, hence attracting patrons looking for something delicious, yet cheap.

The store located at 293 Mercer St. is small and cozy, giving customers a tender, warm feeling. Although there’s no space to dine-in in the store, there are tables available outside where customers can enjoy their delicacies. But, this can be inconvenient in the winter, when dining outside would be very cold. 

Cheese Danish – 8/10

The first thing I ordered was a cheese danish. Although the employees were really friendly, the service was slow and it took them quite a while to heat up my Danish. But, they were pretty generous with the filling, and the taste blended well with the puff pastry, which in itself was pretty good. The salty and savory taste was just what I wanted, and I was satisfied with the dish—it was definitely worth the $2.50.

Hot Chocolate – 9/10

I decided to order a hot chocolate considering the cold weather. I was also craving something sweet to complement my cheese danish. The hot chocolate was rich and creamy with the perfect consistency, and it kept me nice and warm. The only downside was the slow service, and overall, I was not disappointed.

Overall, I enjoyed the experience, and would recommend Matto as a good place to go if you’re looking for a cheap eatery in Manhattan. 

Aizay Amin
Aizay Amin