A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

A New Direction for Twice: Ready To Be

Critic Rating: 7/10

Twice’s 12th mini-album, Ready To Be, welcomes a concept change from their usual sound. However, was the sensational girl group able to pull it off?

“Set Me Free” (8/10)

Twice starts off the album with a catchy disco-pop song with a groovy beat. “Set Me Free” had me subconsciously bopping my head. The girls’ vocals are fantastic and work very well with this type of sound. I also enjoy the simplicity of the music video. It captures the elegance and symbolism fitting for the song. “Set Me Free” provides a new feel from their usual title tracks. Though the vocals in the track hit, the rap fell flat. I found it to be lacking, and it felt very out of place almost unnecessary. 

“Moonlight Sunrise” (6/10)

“Moonlight Sunrise” is a Miami bass R&B song, and an addition to Twice’s growing collection of English tracks. Despite this song being the title track of the album, I didn’t find myself quite satisfied with it. The chorus’s melody sounded quite repetitive and annoying. There is nothing too special about the music video and the song itself isn’t anything exceptional either. Many of Twice’s fans, however, found the more mature concept of “Moonlight Sunrise” to be a refreshing change from the girl group’s usual sound.

“Got the Thrills” (7/10)

This song is definitely one of the brighter tracks of the album, but still quite toned down compared to Twice’s other bubble-gum pop songs. “Got the Thrills” is a fun song about the chemistry between two people. It doesn’t have an overly cutesy or bright sound like many of their other songs do, so I could see this being targeted to a wider audience. Although this track has the essence of Twice’s signature sound, I wouldn’t compare it to the other iconic songs the group has to offer. Even for a B-Side track, ”Got the Thrills” is pretty forgettable.

“Blame it On Me” (8/10)

“Blame it On Me” is a standout track and presents a very different vibe from the previous songs; it definitely has a darker quality to it. At first I didn’t expect much, but I was pleasantly surprised when I reached the chorus. I really enjoy the anti-drop nature of the chorus and the alluring feel of it. The powerful chanting in the post-chorus works well to create an interesting contrast, making the song a captivating listen. The only part I can really say that I dislike is the refrain due to its weird flow.

“Wallflower” (9/10)

This mellow, but groovy song is my favorite off of the album. From the title it seems like a more reserved type of song, but it’s actually on the opposite side of the spectrum — it’s a confident track about taking the initiative. I would describe “Wallflower” as having an old-timey, mature sound. The instrumentals are simple, and the melody is very pretty, having a nostalgic feel to it. I also really enjoy the deeper vocals that Twice showcases in this track. Once again, however, the rap was poorly incorporated the song could’ve gone without it.

“Crazy Stupid Love” (6/10)

In this sentimental rock song, Twice’s emotional vocals shine. “Crazy Stupid Love” is about a relationship that’s falling apart due to all the lies that held it together. Although the melodies and vocals are pretty, the track isn’t particularly catchy or memorable.

The award winning K-pop girl group continues doing what they’ve always been good at making catchy songs. However, Ready To Be is quite an average album compared to the rest of Twice’s discography. None of the songs on the track list are particularly bad, but they aren’t exceptional either. They seem to be refining their mature sound in this era, but haven’t yet perfected it. Although I found the album to be quite underwhelming as a whole, “Set Me Free,” “Blame It On Me,” and “Wallflower” are definitely worth a listen.

View Comments (1)
Donate to The Classic Critic

Your donation will support the student journalists of Townsend Harris High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.