A Review-Based Student Publication of Townsend Harris High School

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

The Classic Critic

EVs – The Teenage Tech, Starring Tesla

I love the environment. The trees, the shrubs, the lakes, it’s all great. But to experience this serenity requires a trek out to the wilderness: vast expanses of land littered with the occasional barn or gas station. Yes, those gas stations, where engined vehicles refuel, only to release toxic fumes back into the air. Fossilized dinosaurs powering these adventures is quite counterintuitive, which is why EVs aim to change the game. Customers of electric vehicles can feel confident knowing that their overland journeys are sustainably sourced.

Warning: Every tech news channel churns out articles titled “Tesla” this or “Tesla” that. And now it’s our turn.

Tesla simply dominates peoples’ minds when it comes to electric vehicles. Elon Musk’s bizarre tendencies and Tesla’s reportedly poor build quality are synonymous with the two letter abbreviation, inhibiting buyers from stepping foot into a vehicle with a battery larger than a lunchbox. However, as the push towards environmental consciousness continues, car brands are straying away from gas-powered vehicles, replacing them with hybrid or fully electric models. Many states have already placed emissions restrictions on vehicles to encourage this transition, which is why this discussion has become so important. So without further ado, let’s dive into the choices beyond the Big T.

It is finally your 18th birthday, and congrats; you have a driver’s license! Now while options like the monstrous 9000lb GMC Hummer EV or the Rimac Nevera (the fastest accelerating production car) may seem appealing, your local Chevrolet dealer might just have what you need. Hidden behind the Corvette and Colorado, the Chevy Bolt is the most affordable EV on sale in ‘Murica, sporting a $26,500 price tag. Now 265 Benjamins is still a LOT of money, so perhaps the used car market is the best route. EVs including the famed Nissan Leaf and Chevrolet Volt can be found for around $6,000-$10,000, which allows for shallower pockets.

Maybe you need more utility, though, and a tiny car isn’t going to cut it. Well, the Ford F-150 Lightning and Rivian R1T are larger options that feature a full-length truck bed for all of your moving needs. In the SUV world, the Rivian R1s (pictured above), Ford Mustang Mach-E, and Toyota BZ4X are some of the many choices available in this segment.

While EVs are by no means perfect with their reduced driving ranges and longer refueling times compared to gas-powered cars, Tesla’s specific problems are not characteristic of all EV vehicles. So if you or a loved one is suffering from Tesla Tunnel Vision, know that there are other options out there, from economy car hatchbacks to house-sized pickup trucks to remarkable supercars.